Here’s the scoop: In just over a couple week, I’ll be attending the Oregon Christian Writers 2018 Summer Conference. It’ll be my first large conference and I had the opportunity to chat with Susan May Warren and Rachel Hauck tonight about exactly how to prepare for it.
Here are their top tips:
What to pack (besides your suitcase, of course)
- Business cards
What to leave at home
- Comparisonitis (yeah, we made that word up)
Plan of attack
- Pick the classes that suit where your current skills and needs are at. Don’t waste your time in marketing and networking if you’re needing basic craft coaching.
- Ask others questions. Listen. Writers love to talk about their projects.
- Pray before, during, and after. Let God guide the experience He’s brought you to it; He’ll bring you through it.
Be honest, be you
- Humility is flattering on everyone.
- Enjoy it. You don’t have to conquer it all in one conference. Writing is a life-long pursuit.
- Make notes about experiences, highlights, connections.
- Make plans for lessons-learned for the next conference.
- Keep writing.